Here is where we try and start a very old car…
If you are using jump leads, then here is a brief guide…
- Park the vehicle with the fully charged battery as near as possible to the car with the flat battery, but they must not touch. The engine of the charged car must be switched off and the gears in neutral or park.
- Connect the red lead to the positive (+) terminal of the flat battery.
- Connect the other end of the red lead to the positive (+) terminal of the charged battery.
- Connect the black lead to the negative (-) terminal of the charged battery.
- Connect the other end of the black lead to a bolt or metal bracket on the engine block, but away from the flat battery.
- Keep jump leads away from any mechanical moving parts on either engine and start the charged car and increase the revs.
- Start the engine of the car with the flat battery.
- Once the engine of the car with the flat battery is running smoothly stop the engine of the car providing the charge.
- Remove the jump leads in the reverse order that you attached them.
- The car with the flat battery needs to recharge, so needs a good run with the minimum of electrical equipment in use. Care should be taken not to stall the car.